Let’s pretend for the next two weeks you’re allowed to do only one exercise. What should it be? If you said “push-ups,” you answered correctly.
Push-ups have long been considered to be the perfect exercise. There is no other exercise that will work every major muscle group in the entire body quite like a push-up does – doing pull-ups come close. Push-ups are considered a compound movement meaning it’s a multi-joint movement working several muscles or muscle groups at one time. Performing a push-up engages and works the chest, shoulders, triceps, back, and abdomen while increasing upper body strength.
If you are really serious about trying to get the most out of a training program, compound exercises are usually preferred and recommended.
There are numerous reasons why push-ups are so effective for building and enhancing fitness and strength in both men and women. Here is why, starting today, push-ups should always be a major part of every workout:
· Push-ups are free – no equipment except for yourself.
· They can be done almost anywhere – all you need is just a few square feet and your private gym is open.
· You don’t have to do them necessarily in gym clothes. You can drop to the floor in almost any clothing you’re wearing and perform push-ups as is.
· There is little to no risk of an injury when doing push-ups and they can help decrease the risk of injury during sports.
· Besides working several major muscle groups, push-ups are also working your cardiovascular system. Your heart rate increase, you are breathing deeper, and your lungs are becoming stronger. Push-ups involve both a cardo-endurance and cardio interval training wrapped up into one exercise.
· To build and sculpt your muscles from your shoulders to your toes, push-ups are your answer. You’ll be amazed at how they can turn your physique into a lithe, sculptured, well-proportioned frame. Plus push-ups allow you to get a full body workout faster.
· Push-ups push your body to build muscle turning you into a fat-burning machine. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns – one pound of muscle burns 35 calories a day compared to just 2 calories burned one pound of fat per day.
· Performing push-ups will allow you to lift heavier loads and build more strength.
Performing a push-up correctly is important making sure your form is how it should be. If you are just starting out, build up gradually until you are doing them daily.