Inflammation is your immune system's reaction to irritation, injury or infection. It's quite a normal response and a natural part of healing. But chronic inflammation for long period of time can have negative effects on the body.
Childhood obesity, diabetes, rate of cancer is on the rise. Without taking care of diabetes, billions and dollars goes into it, and without fixing our diet lifestyle, behavioral changes, nothing will improve. Of all the new health buzzwords touted these days, inflammation wins the race by far. Naturopathic docs are giving recipes for home remedies to reduce it and oncologists are learning more and more just how closely inflammation is to the development of cancer.
Everything is arguably related to inflammation. It can cause cancer, skin conditions, allergies, muscle pain, joint pain, headaches and painful menstruation. So what exactly is inflammation? It's a combination of heat, pain, redness and swelling that happens externally or inside the body.
1. Almonds: An excellent source of monounsaturated fat and omega-3 fatty acids. These help fight inflammation. They also keep you fuller longer.
2. Avocados are a great source of magnesium, fiber and potassium. The combination of these nutrients and the polyphenols that work as antioxidants make avocados a must-have for any anti-inflammatory diet.
3. Broccoli is a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables that are high in phytochemicals called glucosinolates.
4. Blueberries: Blueberries protect the body. They're one of the most important and powerful sources of antioxidants.
5. Carrots: Carrots contain beta-carotene, which your body can convert to vitamin A, plus it's a powerful antioxidant.
6. Kale: Excellent source of vitamins A, C and K and a good source of calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamin C.
7. Spinach: One of the best anti-inflammatory superfoods. Spinach contains lutein which is related to vitamin A and beta-carotene.
8. Strawberries: Flavonoids have been found to have many health benefits. In particular, they have been highlighted to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
9. Sweet Potatoes: The beta-carotene also helps fight inflammation.
10. Walnuts: An excellent source of healthy fats, protein, vitamin E and minerals sterols, these nuts are a great anti-inflammatory snack.