Toxins can be detrimental to our bodies, causing things like low energy, unwanted body fat, constipation, a weakened immune system, and an unhealthy physical appearance. Detoxing through a better diet, and antioxidant rich foods can help your body reduce and eliminate the toxins and can so negatively affect the body. Sticking to a diet that consists of whole foods, or foods that are close to their natural state can be a great start. Similarly, learning to avoid processed foods that have additives, preservatives, and artificial sweeteners can reduce the amount of toxins you are exposing your body to, therefore reducing the amount of toxins that need to be eliminated.
Aside from trying to eat more whole food meals on a daily basis, drinking plenty of water can also aid your body in cleansing itself and eliminating toxins. Adding fiber to your diet, in the form of whole vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds can also aid in cleansing. As your liver is the main organ that filters toxins out of the body, keeping it healthy is key. Foods like artichokes, avocados, dandelion greens, garlic, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lemons and limes, apples and ginger are known to improve liver health.
A great way to get these into your diet are juices and smoothies. Of course nature is full of fruits and vegetables that have the power to detoxify, but some are definitely more powerful than others. Here are some great ingredients to use in your juices and smoothies to help with your daily detox:
1. Artichokes: Artichokes, as mentioned, are your liver's best friend and help to improve the organ’s overall health. They offer a huge dose of silymarin, a powerful antioxidant, as well as cynarin, a fat-fighting acid, which enables the liver to process and eliminate toxins.
2. Ginger: The healing properties of this versatile root have been touted for thousands of years. It is considered a powerful detoxifier, and can be used grated in meals or steeped as a tea. Its detox properties come from this root’s ability to stimulate digestion and increase circulation throughout the body. It is believed that both digestion and circulations help enhance the body’s natural cleansing process.
3. Avocados: This fruit is considered one of the healthiest fats you could eat. To add to the benefits, avocados are packed with fiber, helping to keep your digestion flowing and help cleanse the colon. As mentioned earlier, digestion is one of the main processes helping us to eliminate toxins from our body.
4. Beets: Loaded with vitamins and minerals that help flush out toxins, beets might be the world's greatest detox food. Some of these helpful minerals include magnesium, zinc, iron and calcium.
5. Apples: Superbly abundant during late summer and throughout the fall, apples are loaded with essential vitamins to keep your body in tip top shape. Of all the different types, green apples are considered to be one of the healthiest versions of the fruit. The fruit as a whole is high in the soluble fiber, pectin, which can help to eliminate food additives and metals from your system through digestion.