While no one food can flatten a flabby belly, there are some strategic nibbles that can help reduce bloat and get you a smashing bikini-bod in time for summer. Let’s take a look at the top players:
1. Watermelon: This fruit is made up of 92% water, helping to fill you up and while hydrating you. It is also high in vitamin c and less than 100 calories per a cup.
2. Greek yogurt: This is yogurt which has been strained in a cloth or paper bag or filter to remove the whey, giving a consistency between that of yogurt and cheese, while preserving yogurt's distinctive sour taste. This creamy treat packs about 20 grams of protein per cup, filling your stomach quickly without excess volume or calories. It is also a great source of probiotics.
3. Cucumber: This vegetable is also very high in water, about 95% water. Besides helping fill you without many calories, the high water content helps keep the vegetable cool longer. Furthermore, a whole cucumber only has 45 calories, making it a great addition to a light salad.
4. Unsweetened Iced Tea and Coffee: Calorie-free and full of antioxidants, these are great if you are in need of a refreshingly cool beverage. Green tea also contains EGCG, an antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties.
5. Jicama: This is a low calorie root vegetable with a crispy texture, and only 50 calories per cup. It makes a tasty dish that won’t pack on the pounds.
6. Egg Whites: Egg whites are only 17 calories each with 4 grams of protein. As if this selling point wasn’t good enough, studies show that eating a protein-rich breakfast can help curb appetite later in the day and boost weight-loss efforts.
7. Grapefruit: One large grapefruit is only 120 calories and since it takes some work to eat you tend to take your time. Eating slowly is one way to be more mindful of what you eat and helps you avoid over eating. It is also high in vitamin c and other antioxidants
8. Frozen Grapes: Only 80 calories per cup, frozen grapes are a delicious way to satisfy a sweet tooth without packing on the pounds. To capitalize on all the health perks, choose the red and purple varieties. They’re full of antioxidants that help protect your memory and boost heart health.