5 Foods Nutritionists Won't Eat

Hunger is a constant battle. Some people even claim they're never sure if they actually feel a sensation of hunger. The truth is we eat much bigger portions than our bodies need. We also often choose unhealthy snacks throughout the day. The ghrelin hormone is produced in the stomach and intestines and is often referred to as the “hunger hormone.” But what we eat is just as important. Here are 5 foods nutrition experts wouldn't dare eat. 

friedfoods.jpg

1. Frozen Chicken Nuggets 

Who really knows what's in these chicken nuggets? But the abundance of fat (including saturated fat) and sodium make chicken nuggets a nope.

Serving size: Tyson Fun Nuggets, 5 pieces
Calories: 276
Fat: 17.7g
Carbs: 15.8g
Protein: 13.8g
Sodium: 483mg
Sugar: 0g

2. Diet Soda

Although it’s got no calories or fat, the artificial sweeteners and chemical dyes make this a poor choice. In fact, the sweeteners can mess up your metabolism and have been linked to an increased risk of weight gain and depression. Regular soda is full of empty calories and will most definitely lead to weight gain. 

Serving size: 1 can
Calories: 0
Fat: 0g
Carbs: 15.8g
Protein: 0g
Sodium: 67mg
Sugar: 0g

3. Sugary Coffee Drinks 

We usually tout the benefits of coffee, but in this case we are saying no.  Although plain coffee can be good for you, a blended coffee drink is mostly sugar, syrup, artificial flavor and dairy fat – not coffee.  The amount of calories in just one of these drinks is enough to fill almost your entire daily recommended value.   The sugar will spike insulin levels, gearing you up for that sugar crash and have you craving more substantial food. 

Serving size: Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha, Venti (large)
Calories: 510
Fat: 15g
Carbs: 77g
Protein: 19g
Sodium: 300mg

4. CHINESE FOOD: Chinese is the most fattening takeout order you can get. All of the food options contain excess amounts of sodium, fat and oil. The American Heart Association even put together a guide for the levels of sodium in Chinese food. 

5. CANNED SOUP: Chock full of sodium, sodium nitrates and preservatives, even those tiny cans of Campbell's contain 600-800 mg of sodium a can. Only 10% of the salt we eat comes from the shaker, the other 90% is hidden in our foods and canned soup is one of the top culprits.