It seems these days, everyone's an expert on what works and what doesn't when it comes to weight loss. The truth is weight loss doesn't have one simple formula. Everyone's body is different and you need to find what works for you. But a common misconception is that eating healthy is super expensive. Or embarking on a weight loss journey will cost thousands. This doesn't have to be the case. Remember small changes matter. Try these 7 Tips for cost-effective weight loss.
1. Trick your brain to love portion control: Portion control is arguably the simplest and easiest habit you could adopt as part of a healthy lifestyle and maintaining a healthy weight, especially soon after you've lost weight. Try using smaller plates and be sure half of your plate is filled with healthy veggies.
2. Eat creatively: Obviously brown bagging it is cost-effective but can be a little boring. Change up your salad toppings by using ingredients like swiss chard and watercress for a peppery flavor. Also skip the croutons and add pumpkin or sunflower seeds for that much-needed crunch salad needs.
3. Bring your lunch: This is a no-brainer but most people struggle. The key to bringing your lunch everyday is to plan ahead. Plan your grocery trip for 3-4 days ahead. That way you can ensure your fruits and veggies are fresh. Keep your lunches simple, whether it's a half sandwich (pita bread) or a mason-jar salad.
4. Drink red wine instead of light beer: Beer has a lot of calories, not to mention refined sugars and other ingredients. Red wine is full of antioxidants that help fight inflammation. One glass of red wine is a much better option than even the lightest of beers.
5. Swap lean meat for plant-based proteins: Eating clean starts with eating more plant-based foods. Think lentils, legumes, chickpeas and beans - these have actually been shown to speed up weight loss.
6. Bring on the healthy oils. We've talked about coconut oil being one of the healthiest oils to cook with. Many of these products can be somewhat expensive. But invest in them. Healthy fats are a great part of the diet but can require a few extra dollars. Think long-term, and how often you saute those vegetables. It's worth it.
7. Drink more green tea: Green tea has been shown to burn belly fat. Green tea is one of the healthiest drinks and is high in antioxidants. Antioxidants prevent cancer associated cells from attacking healthy cells and can decrease cancer risk. It also helps lower cholesterol, increase concentration and memory.