A meal shortly after waking up is important to replenish these depleted energy stores and energize the body. But what is the ideal portion for breakfast? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It revs up your metabolism, builds up your energy for the day and makes you just feel good. The key? Eat a high-protein and low-carb balanced breakfast. Skipping breakfast can also lead to low energy. We rely on breakfast to kick start our metabolism after a good night's sleep.
1. LOW CARB OPTION: Egg Salad Tomato “Bruschetta”: Boil a couple eggs the night before. Egg salad can be a great breakfast item. Full of high-quality protein, you'll be getting plenty of lutein and zeaxanthin from the egg yolks. Get the recipe here.
2. Middle Eastern Savory Yogurt Jar: Greek yogurt is often sweetened but it's absolutely delicious served savory-style. This is how it's served in Middle Eastern countries. Topped with extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, feta cheese, and spicy and crunchy chickpeas. It's a great meal to start the day and contains naturally occurring probiotics provided by the yogurt.
3. Quick breakfast: Just enough time to sit and eat a quick breakfast in the morning? Try plain Greek yogurt, add blueberries, raspberries and blackberries and even a small drizzle of honey. This will also keep you full and may even satisfy your sweet craving throughout the day.
4. Turkey Bacon: Yes it's the new bacon and a great thing to make a big batch of ahead of time. Turkey bacon can be bagged up for a great protein-filled snack throughout the day. Have 2 slices of turkey bacon, a handful of almonds, a cup of berries. You'll get everything you need and these quick items can be brought on the go.
5. Embrace the Mediterranean diet: Try a piece of whole grain or sprouted grain toast, add 1 egg any style you like, diced tomatoes and avocado. Add a dash of salt and pepper and you'll be ready for the day. It also has a super fresh taste for summer. The egg is your protein and the avocado and toast will keep you full all day.
6. Homemade Instant Oatmeal: If you have a microwave or hot water at your disposal, try these customized oatmeal packets. Purchase pre-made oatmeal packets, assemble in Ziploc baggies and use rolled oats, cinnamon and add-ins like raisins and nuts.
7. Breakfast Quinoa Bites: Here’s a new way to enjoy quinoa: make mini quinoa breakfast quiches! In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups cooked quinoa, 2 eggs, 1 cup your favorite veggies (spinach or zucchini work well), 1 cup shredded cheese, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Portion into a lightly-greased mini muffin tin, and bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes. These are easy to bring along and delicious to enjoy warm or cold.
8. Avocado Smoothie Bowl With Almonds and Mint: Smoothies can easily be translated into a breakfast bowl, which can feel much more like a meal for breakfast. Two key ingredients to achieve that thickness in a smoothie bowl are avocados and bananas. Get the recipe here.