We often accept having low energy, unwanted body fat, constipation, a weakened immune system, and an unhealthy physical appearance as regular health problems. But detoxification can help you feel more energetic, improve health and increase longevity. It's important to understand how toxins affect us and how you can help your body reduce and get rid of them. Detoxification is the process by which our bodies filter and remove harmful toxins. We must process internal toxins or those created by digestion, energy production, hormonesynthesis, as well as external toxins from the environment.
Our bodies are continually eliminating toxins through our skin, urine, feces, and lungs. Potentially toxic substances need to be processed and eliminated from the body.
The liver does most of the work in converting these substances to forms that can leave the body either through bile or through the filtration system of the kidneys. The kidneys are also important as they help break down these compounds
Here are nine foods to help you detox and eat clean:
1. Sea Veggies: Yes, that's right. Think kelp, which has long been recognized in Asian countries for the nutritional and medicinal properties. They're rich in iodine and potassium but they're also said to boost liver function, which helps the body to detox naturally.
2. Artichokes: Artichokes are your liver's best friend. They offer a huge dose of silymarin which is a powerful antioxidant as well as cynarin (fat-fighting acid) which enables the liver to process and eliminate toxins.
3. Ginger: This is the ultimate versatile root. Recent studies suggest that ginger helps keep cravings down.
4. Avocados: One of the healthiest fats you could eat along with a heaping serving of fiber. They help keep your digestion flowing and help cleanse the colon.
5. Beets: These might be the world's greatest detox food. They're loaded with vitamins and minerals that help flush out toxins, including magnesium, zinc, iron and calcium.
6. Pineapple: This deliciously sweet fruit helps eliminate toxins. It's full of bromelain, a powerful digestive enzyme that works to cleanse the colon and rid the body of harmful bacteria.
7. Fennel: Packed with a fiber a savory, licorice-like flavor. It also helps clean out the colon and aid the digestion.
8. Apples: Loaded with essential vitamins to keep your body running strong, green apples are one of the healthiest versions. They also offer up a lot of pectin, which is a soluble fiber that helps remove food additives and metals from your system.
9. Cinnamon: Loaded with iron, calcium and manganese, the essential nutrients found in cinnamon help your body to process fatty acids and keep blood sugar in check.