We all want to be in tip top shape from head to toe right? Total body wellness also includes mental wellness. Knowing how to achieve this goal is the first step in attaining it and being in the best shape you’ve ever been in. When you are healthy and well, life just goes along a little bit better – usually a lot better! Here are the top 20 tips pointing you in the right direction of total body wellness:
1. Eat at least 90% of your meals at home. You’ll save on calories not to mention money.
2. Clean out your cupboards, purge your pantry and freshen up your fridge and freezer of foods with too much sugar, fat, and salt.
3. Own a set of 5-lb dumbbells using them 2-3 times a week. When lifting 5-lbs becomes too easy, increase the weight. Use your muscles so as not to lose them.
4. Go for an evening walk clearing the mind and toning the body.
5. Substitute the words “I can’t” with “I can” opening up a whole new way of thinking.
6. Do 10 sit-ups, push-ups and planks today (repeat 3 times).
7. Practice portion control on the amount of food you eat. All those extra bites add up in unnecessary calories leading to weight gain.
8. Stand more and sit less. Use a standing desk at work, pace while talking on the phone and walk at lunchtime.
9. Daily find something to laugh about. A sense of humor and a good belly laugh relieves stress, inspires hope, keeps you alert and connects you to others.
10. Eat each day a bare minimum of 3 foods full of fiber – fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, and lentils.
11. Variety is the spice of life. Eat many different kinds of healthy foods on a daily basis.
12. Exercise, exercise, exercise. It’s the most potent and underutilized antidepressant…and it’s free.
13. Keep hydrated and help prevent overeating by drinking more water – around 6-8 cups a day.
14. Keep sodium under control to prevent hypertension. An appropriate range is between 1500-2300 milligrams a day.
15. Feed your brain healthy fats such as nuts, seeds, fish, flaxseed, walnuts, and avocadoes.
16. Be kind and smile at everyone you meet. It feels good knowing you made them feel good.
17. Take time to enjoy the beauty of nature every day.
18. Own a pet. They boost your mood, relieve stress, and they make you a better person.
19. Volunteer. Being altruistic can help you live longer. Like Aristotle once said, “The essence of life is to serve others and do good.”
20. Look in the mirror and give yourself a compliment. Relish your uniqueness knowing there will never be anyone quite like you ever again.