What Household Mold Does to Your Health

Mold lives both indoors and outdoors. It thrives in damp, warm and humid environments such as shower stalls and basements. However, mold can grow anywhere in the house. Many people wonder if they should be concerned when it comes to mold throughout their home and the truth is, it's important to monitor and clean this mold as best you can, as often as you can. 

Even Mold that originates outside can travel into the home through open doors, windows and vents. Another major problem is it can become attached to clothing, shoes, pets and carried indoors. 

Mold toxicity is a very real condition people become exposed to. Mold produces substances that are often irritating and allergy-causing substances (allergens) in those sensitive or with a pre-allergic condition. Some molds produce mycotoxins or toxic substances but the root mold is not toxic or poisonous.

householdmoldhealtheffects.jpg

Allergic reactions are the most common health effects of mold. These reactions can happen quickly or develop over a longer period of time. 

Symptoms of allergy:

  • sneezing
  • runny nose
  • coughing
  • wheezing
  • watery eyes
  • redness of the eyes
  • itchy eyes
  • skin irritation or rash

Another serious issue that stems from mold is asthma attacks in those diagnosed with asthma or a severe condition to mold. Some people can develop severe reactions to mold exposure. More uncommon symptoms include fever and difficulty breathing. Patients with weak immune systems or even chronic lung disease can develop serious infections. 

There is no way to know how mold will affect an individual. It's important for people to know their risk factors, especially if they have allergies. 

The Institute of Medicine found sufficient evidence that linked to indoor exposure and mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough or wheezing in 2014. Mold also links  to the worsening of asthma symptoms in people who has asthma. 

Mold toxicity has over 100 symptoms, which many people don't know. Symptoms such as brain fog, sleep problems, weight fluctuations, headaches, asthma and fatigue. When it comes to mold exposure, 28% are susceptible too.

You should first consult a family or general health care provider who will decide whether you need referral to a specialist. Such specialists might include an allergist who treats patients with mold allergies or an infectious disease physician who treats mold infections. If an infection is in the lungs, a pulmonary physician might be recommended. Patients who have been exposed to molds in their workplace may be referred to an occupational physician.