1. Buy a water filter.
- Tap water can be loaded with compounds like chlorine and fluoride, which damage our intestinal flora and disrupt our endocrine system.
- Drinking clean water allows our bodies to hydrate and eliminate waste more effectively, because we don’t have to do more work to filter out the chemicals in our water.
- Add a filter to your drinking water, as well as your shower.
- Bathing in hot chlorinated water can allow chlorine to be absorbed through the skin, which is your largest organ.
2. Choose chemical-free foods.
- Every day, we're exposed to dozens of pesticides, chemicals, preservatives, processed oils, additives, artificial colors and flavors in the food we eat.
- Even if we stick to a whole foods diet, non-organic fare can pollute the body with chemicals that damage our health and the environment.
3. Try skin brushing.
- Skin brushing helps to slough off dead skin cells, which allows your skin to breathe better.
- The best time to skin brush is right before you shower, so you can wash away any dirt or dead skin that comes off after you brush.
4. Have regular bowel movements.
- Most of our bodily wastes are eliminated by our bowels, so it's important to ensure that you're having regular bowel movements. That means at least daily, if not twice daily.
- Consume plenty of water and fiber — mainly found in fruits and veggies — as well as exercising daily.
5. Practice deep breathing.
- Learn how to deep breathe, which helps to cleanse and detoxify our lungs, reduces stress and brings energizing oxygen to our tissues.
- Start off your day by taking 10 deep, slow, long breaths. Once you get the hang of it, increase your number of breaths, and stop for "breathing breaks" throughout your day.
6. Clean up your personal care products.
- From shampoo to shower gel to moisturizer to makeup, many of us are slathering toxic chemicals right onto our skin every day.
- Women are at a much higher risk than men, since they use more beauty care products, at an average of 12 per day.
7. Laugh more.
- Laughing more helps detox our minds.
- There are many health benefits to laughter, including reducing stress and lowering blood pressure.