As a result to New York City's board of health, fast food chains and popular chain restaurants will not be required to have warning labels on restaurant foods that contain more than a day's worth of sodium which is currently at 2,300 mg. The American Heart Association is in full support for the new initiative because sodium is highly linked to high blood pressure and heart disease risk. It also causes bloating which means cutting down on sodium is one of the fastest ways to flatten the belly. 2300 mg might sound like a lot until you find out that one of those mini salt packages add up to a total of 189 mg of sodium. Here are 8 of the saltiest meals you will find at some of the most popular restaurants.
1. TGI Friday's Jack Daniel's Ribs & Shrimp without the sides rings in at 4,000 mg of sodium. That's the amount of 4 huge pretzels from the mall. Instead try, their Jack Daniel's Rib-Eye.
2. Chili's Buffalo Chicken Ranch Sandwich comes in at 4,170 mg of sodium which equals 19 medium servings of McDonald's fries. When you hear the words buffalo and ranch, run. Opt for a high-protein salad instead. But if you are at Chili's eat the Grilled Chicken Salad instead.
3. Applebee's 4-Cheese Mac & Cheese with Honey Pepper Chicken Tenders: Coming in at 4,290 mg of sodium which equals 20 pieces of thick cut bacon. This happens to be the saltiest item on their menu. Instead try their Savory Cedar Salmon
4. Bob Evans Cornmeal Mush Breakfast with egg "lites" and bacon: This breakfast combo is full of over 4,030 mg of sodium which equas 42 handfuls of Planter's Salted Peanuts. Instead try Bob Evans Blueberry Crepes with only 690 mg of sodium.
5. Uno Chicago Grill Chicago Classic Deep Dish Individual Pizza: This comes in at 4,910 mg of sodium which is similar to 6 servings of movie theater nachos with cheese. Instead, try their cheese and tomato flatbread pizza with about 1,290 mg of sodium.
6. Friendly's Loaded Waffle Fries have 4,990 mg of sodium which is like eating 5 Big Macs. Fries anywhere are always going to be high in fat and sodium but in this case, these are topped with cheddar cheese sauce, bacon and sour cream. Instead, try the Friendly's Cheeseburger Sliders.