Top prostate-healthy foods for Thanksgiving
· Cranberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries. Cranberries also helps bladder health by preventing bacteria from attaching to urinary tract walls
· High in vitamin C and antioxidants. Vitamin C may help ease BPH symptoms by promoting urination and reducing swelling. Antioxidants prevent damage from free radicals – molecules that attack healthy cells and can contribute to cancer risk
· Recommendation: 90mg of vitamin C daily. 90mg of vitamin C in one cup of strawberries. 14mg in one cup of blueberries
· Other sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, cantaloupe, spinach, broccoli, and mangos
· Has omega-3 fatty acids. Lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol levels. Lowers high blood pressure. Helps with weight loss. Reduces risk of heart attack. Can boost prostate health
· Trout and herring may actually help lower prostate cancer risk
· Recommendation: 2 servings per week.
· Worried about mercury? Anchovies, herring, sardines and freshwater trout are good sources of omega-3s with lower levels of mercury
· Nuts are healthy fats. Can help lower cholesterol and promote brain health.
· Brazil nuts – good source of vitamin E, calcium and selenium
· 2010 study says selenium combined with soy may help fight prostate cancer
· One Brazil nut has more than 100% of the daily value of selenium. Can be harmful in high doses – watch portions.
· Other healthy nuts include pecans, almonds and walnuts. Nuts can be fatty – watch portions
· Plant protein - can be replaced for red or processed meats. Beans, chia, and hemp seeds are packed with protein and vital nutrients.
· One cup of black beans has about 15 grams of protein and 15 grams of fiber
· May promote prostate health
· Recommendation: 38 grams of fiber and 56 grams of protein daily
· Can help protect against prostate cancer
· Lowers cholesterol, improves memory and attention spans
· Other sources include iced mint green tea and green tea rice
Watermelon. Fat-free, sodium-free, and high in vitamins A and C.
· Excellent source of lycopene – antioxidant that gives whole foods like tomatoes and watermelon their color
· Lycopene may help lower prostate cancer risk. Can be found in tomatoes, apricots, pink grapefruit, guava, and papaya. About 9-13mg of lycopene in 1.5 cups of watermelon
· Recommendation: 10mg of lycopene daily