Feeling like your sex drive just isn’t what it used to be can be both frustrating and uncomfortable, especially when the underlying causes can vary dramatically. Similarly, it can make your partner feel inadequate when the issue has nothing to do with them. Let’s take a look at some foods and drinks that could be killing your libido:
· Alcohol: Alcohol is a depressant and can leave you feeling a bit under-stimulated for sex. Alcohol negatively effects erectile function as well as the ability to orgasm. Try drinking in moderation. Try to limit your intake to one drink which can help you get in the mood for sex but not kill your drive.
· Soda: Some sodas count BVO (brominated vegetable oil) among their ingredients. These chemical compounds have been linked to male infertility, erectile dysfunction and decreased libido. So when you are looking to get lucky, you may want to rethink that can of soda
· Canned food: Here's another big no no for your libido. Canned foods are dangerously high in sodium, which can raise blood pressure and decrease blood flow to other parts of the body, like sex organs. Proper blood flow to the genitals is important to ensure everything is in working order during sex.
· Fried foods: Like sodas and canned foods, overindulging in greasy foods can put a damper on your sex life. More specifically, the trans-fat found in fried foods has been found to decrease both male and female sex drives. Furthermore, these foods make you lethargic and lazy, hardly a recipe for good sex.
· Soy: We've all heard of this one by now, especially men. Excess amounts of soy in the diet can reduce levels of testosterone, in turn killing sex drive. Studies have also shown that soy can reduce sperm count by 40%, and disrupt regular hormone function.
· Cheese: Although not necessarily a recipe for bad sex, you could be getting more than you bargained for with certain cheeses. Some cheese made from cow’s milk could be loaded with synthetic hormones. These excess hormones could interfere with regular estrogen and testosterone production.
· Mint: Although a natural cure for bad breath, men should think twice before chewing these leaves. The menthol in mint lowers testosterone, putting your sex drive on hold. Chewing a piece of gum is more likely to put you in the mood.
· Caffeinated drinks: these can lower your sex drive by boosting your feelings of anxiety. If you have underlying anxiety or mental health conditions, then avoiding caffeine that will boost these feelings before sex is essential.